From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2017 - 14:10:44 CDT

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 2:12 PM, John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote
​:

> The reason that the standard VMD builds don't include MPI by default
> is because MPI lacks a binary runtime interface, and requires that
> applications be compiled from source code on the actual target
> hardware where they will be run. To make the deployment of VMD
> with MPI easier, I have been considering making the MPI aspects of
> VMD operate using a plugin type interface and shipping the MPI-related
> plugin source code along with VMD so that an existing VMD binary for
> Linux/Windows/MacOS could just load such an MPI plugin at runtime,
> and you wouldn't have to recompile the whole program, which as many
> here already know is quite a task, particularly for beginners.

FWIW: there is already an external MPI plugin for Tcl, that can be used to
parallelize VMD using fast message passing networks via MPI.
https://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/software/tclmpi

​this​ exists for over 5 years and i have been using it very successfully
to parallelize plain Tcl scripts but also VMD/Tcl script (e.g. where each
VMD instance loads a subset of a trajectory). you compile the plugin
separately, test it with your local Tcl installation and the load it into
VMD without having to recompile VMD.

the main limitation of this plugin is, that it is made for generic Tcl and
thus only supports Tcl data structures (thus it cannot communicate VMD
internal data directly). on the other hand, it is completely independent of
VMD and can be used with any compatible Tcl interpreter.

axel.