From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2017 - 17:18:19 CDT

Hi,
  In VMD, this is done using the Isosurface representation, and you
would need/want to set the isovalue to the correct value that extracts
the solvent accessible surface. As an alternative, you could ignore what
APBS computes there and compute the solvent surface using MSMS, Stride,
or NanoShaper, and color it using the electrostatic potentials (also
stored in a DX file) using the color by Volume method in VMD. Perhaps
read this little VMD minitutorial (10 years old, but it should still
work fine) as a starting point:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/colorbypot/

Best,