From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2017 - 10:46:37 CDT

Because the charge of the protein comes from adding together many
fractional charges, all represented as floating point charges, it is
difficult to completely add up to an exact multiple of the electron charge.

I'm also not sure whether it's the case, but this link
<https://www.khanacademy.org/math/pre-algebra/pre-algebra-exponents-radicals/pre-algebra-scientific-notation/v/scientific-notation>
may be useful as well.

Giacomo

--