From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2017 - 18:02:59 CDT

What Brian said. :D Fundamentally, charge groups in CHARMM are only defined in the topology file, not the PSF. What topotools does (and has always done) is make a best guess at recapitulating these by keeping track of the total charge sum, and declaring a new charge group once it reaches integer charge (so 0, +1, -1, etc.). For proteins, this heuristic works fairly well, but for things like cyclic sugars, this works much less well, since integer charge usually only comes up once per residue. Happily, this does not matter one iota for newer versions of GROMACS, which don't use charge groups for dynamics.

-Josh