From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 31 2017 - 16:48:16 CDT

Hi,
  Somehow this message escaped my attention when I was out of town traveling previously.

I expect that we'll have the HMDs supporting trajectories in OpenGL much sooner than in OptiX.
At present the interactive ray tracing engines can't do trajectory playback due to the time
it takes to rebuild some acceleration data structures and re-JIT the shader code in the
existing versions of VMD+OptiX, however I expect this to change in the not-too-distant future
as a result of ongoing technological improvements in back-end shader compiler techology used
by OptiX and as a result of changes I'm making to VMD to better accomodate this. Clearly
the ability for us to support trajectory animation is high on the TODO list.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/