From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 24 2017 - 10:25:36 CDT

Hi,
  I would recommend using the "GlassBubble" material
(with Display | Rendermode set to GLSL), and draw the atoms
using the "VDW" representation. That will give you a circular
outline for each atom without having to do anything special.
To draw a 2-D circle otherwise is trickier than one might guess,
because the circle(s) must be made to align in plane(s) orthogonal
to the viewing direction, and this/these would have to be recomputed
as the view direction changes. I think that using the "GlassBubble"
material (or a variation thereof) is much simpler and more convenient.
If you want to ensure a perfectly circular edge on the "GlassBubble"
material, use the Orthographic projection mode,
turn off all lights except for light 0, and then issue the
command "light 0 pos {0 0 1}", and you should get the sort of
results you're after.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/