From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2017 - 02:57:14 CDT

Peter,
  I don't think there's a solution for this in VMD 1.9.3 without
changing the code.

There are some complex issues involved with the behavior of text on
the external renderers vs. what you see in OpenGL. I'm aware of
some lingering text size/placement mismatch problems but as
yet there isn't a fix in VMD itself. I will have to revisit
this to determine if I can resolve this now that a variety of changes
have been made to some of the low level renderer data interchange classes,
or if further redesign is needed to address it.

In the short term it may be best to photoshop in your text labels for
figures and/or this is for movies you might generate the coordinates for
the text yourself rather than using the built-in label routine and
use the 'draw text' commands or the like.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/