From: Dallas Warren (dallas.warren_at_monash.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2017 - 19:36:13 CST

Would have been nice if I found your message awhile ago John .... oh
dear .... well I have learnt some things while oblivious to what you
had replied ;)

OK, so if I export VMDNOCUDA=1 before executing ......

    dallas_at_morph:~> vmd
    Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9.3 (March 8, 2017)
    Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
    Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
    Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
    Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
    Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
    Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
    Info) Multithreading available, 12 CPUs detected.
    Info) Free system memory: 31GB (86%)
    Info) VMDNOCUDA environment variable is set, CUDA support disabled.
    Info) No CUDA accelerator devices available.
    Warning) Detected X11 'Composite' extension: if incorrect display occurs
    Warning) try disabling this X server option. Most OpenGL drivers
    Warning) disable stereoscopic display when 'Composite' is enabled.
    Info) OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
    Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(4) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVFGS)
    Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
    Info) Textures: 2-D (16384x16384), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)
    Info) Dynamically loaded 2 plugins in directory:
    Info) /usr/local/lib/vmd/plugins/LINUXAMD64/molfile
    after#0

Then if try to use QuickSurf ..... it doesn't CRASH, yay.
Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren

Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics

Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052
dallas.warren_at_monash.edu

+61 3 9903 9304