From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Fri Feb 17 2017 - 18:38:01 CST

Hi Thomas,

I think that you actually want a larger radius, since you are clearly picking up small internal cavities due to a lack of hydrogens on your molecule. That being said, this protein is clearly some sort of channel, and so picking up surface atoms using VMD's algorithm is going to be VERY tricky indeed to get the pieces that line the pore without picking up internal cavities. Have you considered using alternative tools like CAVER, CHUNNEL, or HOLE? Unless of course you only care about the lipid interface. Then just crank up the radius and you'll be fine. :)

-Josh