From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2017 - 16:17:49 CST

In terms of fully compiled builds, I'm afraid the answer is no, and those aren't even useful if they need to link into python, since the system pythons are probably different. Compiling VMD from source is not as easy as it could be, but its also not impossible (although it definitely feels that way the first time)! The two best sources that explain the process in all the gory detail that is required to get python-enabled VMD working that I've found are http://robinbetz.com/blog/2015/01/08/compiling-vmd-with-python-support/ (for linux) or http://nuweb5.neu.edu/bardhan/?p=104 (for mac).

In terms of the data itself, volmap gives you a bunch of voxel values, 1 value per voxel. The value of the voxel depends on what analysis you asked for. Here it would probably be informative to look at what a dx file looks like, just for a small synthetic test set. The data is fundamentally stored the same way.

-Josh