From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 07 2017 - 16:02:12 CST

Hi,
  If this is for an interactive simulation, the logical thing would
be to extend the IMD protocol to allow updates to a time-varying
volumetric map. If it is intended for some other purely analytical purpose,
then implementing it with scripting-accessible interfaces would
make sense.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/