From: Karl Decker (kaelenmitharos_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 07 2017 - 14:13:06 CST

Is it possible to share memory between two processes, one of which is VMD?
I'm aware this is generally messy and dangerous, but it's one way to avoid
writing large files to disk and slowing down the execution of the plugin
we're designing. It would obviously take some effort to write the code for
sharing the memory between two processes, but first I want to know: can VMD
even be made to share its memory with another process?

Alternatively, we are considering implementing a python plugin to VMD. Can
VMD be made to share memory with a plugin?

The memory we want to share is from VolMap, specifically a distance map
generated in VolMap. The idea is to sidestep writing the map to disk
because it takes too long.

Thanks,
Karl