From: Vlad Cojocaru (vlad.cojocaru_at_mpi-muenster.mpg.de)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2017 - 03:50:09 CST

Dear John,

Thanks a lot for your insights. The problem with openSUSE (and I believe
other distributions as well) is that they cannot use and distribute the
commercial drivers. But they do not force you to use Nouveau, they just
come with it by default. On openSUSE is in general straightforward to
remove Nouveau and install the proprietary drivers and NVIDIA has
repositories for it ...

In my case, the problem was that the graphical openSUSE installer did
not load at all on the machine with the Quadro M4000 (which was free of
any OS). So, I was forced to install the OS in textmode lacking any
graphical support. I assumed that this was because the lack of support
for the Quadro M4000 by the default drivers used by the SUSE installer
(the installer worked flawlessly on all other machines). When I compiled
the NVIDIA drivers on top of this textmode installation, at first the
machine still booted in textmode-only. I needed to change some settings
in the SUSE configuration, to get into the graphical mode. When I had
the graphical mode working, I noticed that VMD is very slow when loading
trajectories. However, soon after that I realized that the entire
graphics and not only VMD were just ridiculously slow for the
workstation specifications (though fast enough not to notice at first
glance).

I solved the issue by uninstalling the NVIDIA driver I initially
compiled on the textmode OS and reinstalling it (same version 375.26)
from the NVIDIA repositories for openSUSE ... Now it works perfect and
VMD is very fast on this machine even with quite large trajectories ...

I hope this thread will be helpful for others that may encounter similar
issues.

Best wishes
Vlad