From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2016 - 13:46:00 CST

Hi,
  When you untar the archive, you should write the command below,
note the "z" I added:
tar -xzvf vmd-1.9.3.bin.LINUX.opengl.tar.gz

Try that and let me know if it works. If not, please also run these
commands and tell me what they say on your machine:
  cksum vmd-1.9.3.bin.LINUX.opengl.tar.gz
  md5sum vmd-1.9.3.bin.LINUX.opengl.tar.gz

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/