From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2016 - 13:30:38 CST

As an extra little piece of advice, I’d test this on your laptop first, and put a “puts” statement somewhere in your loop so you can see progress (maybe outputting the pdb code for the file its working on), since what you describe is what I tend to see when VMD is working hard on something if I give it a huge list to churn through. If I’m building a new script, I tend to build it up by testing a single loop iteration first (by putting an “exit” at the end of the loop), and then invariably fixing the oversights I made as I go from 1 to many iterations. On supercomputers where you tend to work by script, you can pass the script as a command line argument (see http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node246.html) to execute it:

vmd -dispdev text -e scriptname.tcl

The admins I’ve worked with so far haven’t complained about using the login nodes for these sorts of runs, mostly since if its written well it won’t take too long to execute.

Josh Vermaas

Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
joshua.vermaas_at_nrel.gov<mailto:joshua.vermaas_at_nrel.gov>