From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2016 - 10:10:53 CST

Hi,
  The source of your problem is that you've installed a 64-bit version of
VMD on a machine that appears to be running a 32-bit operating system.
If you run the command "uname -a" you can verify this. The solution is to
install the "LINUX" version rather than "LINUXAMD64".

Also, is there some particular reason you're installing such an old
version of VMD rather than the current version 1.9.3?

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/