From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2016 - 21:25:34 CST

Jim,
  The NetCDF is included with the Linux and MacOS X builds by default.
If you just select the .nc file in the file browser in VMD, it will
recognize it as a NetCDF file, and it will look at the contents, determine
that it's an AMBER trajectory and do the right thing from there. You shouldn't
have to do anything since your file has the ".nc" suffix. If it had been named
with a different suffix, you might have had to tell VMD it's a NetCDF file
by selecting the file type in the load menu, but that should not be necessary
in this case.