From: Stefan Boresch (stefan_at_mdy.univie.ac.at)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2016 - 02:20:31 CST

Joao,

thank you for the quick reply; unfortunately, I saw it only once I
was not at my desktop anymore, hence the late reply.

In reverse order: No "fn" key here, and the Windows key doesn't work
either. However, first pressing/holding either "Alt" key, then clicking
in the field forces the dropdown menu to appear.

I am not sure what "desktop effects" in my context mean. I am
running gnome 3.14, i.e., the default gnome 3 under Debian 8 ("jessie").
This runs in regular gnome 3 mode (i.e., not classic shell, as
I believe RHEL/Centos 7.x do). Obviously, there are some 'fancy effects',
but as opposed to KDE/Plasma, I wouldn't know that I can turn them off/on
in gnome3. Also, the same 'effects' are there in my main account and
in the secondary one. The one difference that I can think of is that
in my main account I made some configuration changes with gnome-tweak-tool
(focus follows mouse, minimization/maximation buttons on windows are the
main customizations that spring to mind).

The other difference between the two accounts is that the secondary
account was set up when I installed the machine, and it is left at
essentially default settings. The main account lives in a NFS mounted
home directory that goes back almost 20 years, so considerable cruft
has accumulated in its configuration (hidden .*) files, which probably
is impossible to sort out ..

If you can think of things to test / help debug this, let me know!
I'll get some other users (with varying degrees of gnome 3 customization)
to try ..

Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Stefan Boresch