From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2016 - 10:51:00 CDT

I was told that my link wasn’t working; here’s the pertinent information:

  Depth of field is sampled when antialiasing samples are taken, so
the way to achieve a smoother depth of field bokeh effect when doing
batch ray tracing for movie rendering is to crank up the antialiasing
samples significantly, e.g.:
   render aasamples TachyonLOptiXInternal 256
   render aasamples TachyonInternal 256