From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Fri Sep 30 2016 - 09:53:41 CDT

Hi Thomas,

Here is what I would do: Make one selection per color, and then use modulo arithmetic to try and get the atom colors spaced apart somewhat. If I wanted N distinct colors, I'd have N selections, each assigned to its own color using the atomselection interface. The text for each selection would be:

"index % N == 0"
"index % N == 1"
"index % N == 2"
..
"index % N == N-1"

This can of course also be scripted, but that's an exercise I'm leaving to you. :)

-Josh