From: Ky Wildermuth (kywildermuth_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2016 - 15:37:42 CDT

Eric,

What works for me is rendering with Tachyon and choosing the option
*-lowshade* such as in the example below:

*render Tachyon $filename "/vmd/vmd-1.9/lib/tachyon/tachyon_LINUXAMD64"
$filename -lowshade -format BMP -o $filename.bmp*

This is a low quality rendering option that produces no shading at all (at
least for the systems I have been working with). I am not sure if it would
make a difference but I render the images using lights 0 and 1 on (and all
others off) and I use the surf representation.

I use this to quantify areas of selections based on color via a python
computer vision script and it works well to identify entire selections of a
specific color. You can try some other rendering options if this isn't
exactly what you are looking for; there is a comprehensive list of Tachyon
options on a previous post that you can find here:

<goog_1782300144>
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/23903.html

I hope this helps.

-Ky