From: Levi Pierce (levipierce_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2016 - 14:08:23 CDT

Hello all,

  I just got a 1080GTX I have CUDA 8 installed (ubuntu 14.04) and driver
version 367.35. I was trying to use the optix render option and I am
seeing the following:

Info) Rendering current scene to '/movies/test2.00011.ppm' ...
ERROR) OptiXRenderer) ERROR: Launch failed (Details: Function "RTresult
_rtContextCompile(RTcontext)" caught exception: : error: Encountered a CUDA
error: createFromMemoryPtx returned (209): No binary for GPU, [7340351]
[7340352]) (OptiXRenderer.C:1167
OptiXRenderer) An error occured compiling the context. Rendering is aborted.
OptiXRenderer) An error occured in AS generation. Rendering is aborted.
Total OptiX rendering time: 0.9 sec
Info) Rendering complete.

I am guessing something didn't get built perhaps when I installed vmd? I
see the following when it starts up...

Info) Multithreading available, 24 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 27232MB (42%)
Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
Info) Detected 1 available CUDA accelerator:
Info) [0] GeForce GTX 1080 20 SM_6.1 @ 1.73 GHz, 7.9GB RAM, KTO, AE2, ZCP
Info) Detected 1 available TachyonL/OptiX ray tracing accelerator
Warning) Detected X11 'Composite' extension: if incorrect display occurs
Warning) try disabling this X server option. Most OpenGL drivers
Warning) disable stereoscopic display when 'Composite' is enabled.
Info) OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(4) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVFGS)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (32768x32768), 3-D (16384x16384x16384), Multitexture
(4)
Info) Dynamically loaded 2 plugins in directory:
Info) /usr/local/lib/vmd/plugins/LINUXAMD64/molfile

Any ideas? Thanks!

~Levi

Levi Pierce