From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2016 - 09:29:57 CDT

Kevin,
  What version of CentOS are you running? The OptiX-enabled binaries
of VMD 1.9.2 should work fine with CentOS 5.x and later. You should not
need to recompile from source, and in general I would not recommend it unless
you are an expert in software development due to the need for all of the
toolkit and GPU library versions associated with CUDA and OptiX and so on to
match up precisely. What do you get when you run these commands
on your system?:
  uname -a
  cat /etc/issue

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/