From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Tue May 17 2016 - 00:02:49 CDT

Your main problem might be that you just write out the xyz coords to a file called .gro, which will _NOT_ result in a file having the actual GRO format. What you could do is just write out every frame putting the frame number to the file name and so have individual gro files for all your frames, which seems to be the easiest option for you.

set distance 5
set nearby [atomselect top "chain G and name C1 O2 and within $distance of name CA"]
set nf [molinfo top get numframes]
for {set frame 0} {$frame < $nf} {incr frame 1} {

puts “Info) Frame $frame/$nf”
$nearby frame $frame
$nearby update
$nearby writegro “whatever_${frame}.gro”
}

Later you can easily load all the frames with vmd doing:

vmd whatever_*.gro

Another option might be catdcd to convert the single frames into one trajectory format file.

Norman Geist