From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2016 - 12:22:00 CDT

Hi,
  A very minor correction. Current VMD versions do set the periodic cell
sizes to zero by default. That being said, there likely may still exist a
molfile plugin or two that may be setting the periodic cell size to
a non-zero number by default.
Another possibility is that you may have loaded a file that had been processed
by an old version of VMD that indeed did exactly what Jerome is warning about.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/