From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2016 - 10:27:56 CDT

Hi,
  The standard 3DConnexion X-Windows and MS-Windows message protocol
doesn't have a way of distinguishing between multiple 6DOF input devices,
so there's an inherent problem with the normal input processing path with
multiple devices. Fortunately, there is more than one way to talk to
a SpaceNavigator.

To use one of them as a "Tug" tool, I think that you'll
want to have it driven via VRPN, which (should) talk to the device using
low-level USB or OS kernel event I/O that bypasses the windowing system.

Another option which isn't quite ready yet, but that I've got half-implemented
would be to use a new input module for VMD that uses low-level OS kernel
event I/O to talk to the SpaceNavigator and joysticks on Linux. This
approach bypasses both VRPN and the Windowing system provided mechanisms
for talking to input devices, which is needed for handling arbitrary numbers
of input devices, devices that are not supported by conventional APIs
(e.g. VR HMDs and similar) and to get lower latency, and perhaps
most importantly, for "hot plugging" support which is something that
neither VRPN nor the windowing systems provide presently.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/