From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2016 - 03:57:05 CDT

If your system contains a lot of water, you might want to have a look at the catdcd tool to write a trajectory containing only your atomselection, so you might be able to load it at once to VMD. Away from that, you could write a TCL script which loads frame after frame and renders the image. Later you can combine all the images to a movie file. The movie maker in fact, follows the same procedure but instead has all frames loaded already.

Norman Geist