From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 21 2016 - 09:34:15 CST

Hi,
  I would start out by using the newer VMD 1.9.2 version rather than 1.9.1,
in case the cause of your problem has already been fixed. If you still
experience the problem on VMD 1.9.2, then let me know and I will give you
some suggestions to try that will help narrow down what may be occuring.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/