From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 20 2015 - 13:24:13 CDT

Hi Edoardo,

I seem to recall that you can make the resolution arbitrary from the
command line if you just never open an X-window. So you would have a
script that sets it all up and renders (script.tcl), and you'd run it as
follows:

vmd -dispdev text -size 1600 1200 -eofexit script.tcl

I don't think there is a way of setting the resolution to be different
from what VMD thinks the display resolution is, but so long as VMD is
run in text-mode, I think it can be arbitrary.

-Josh