From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 08 2015 - 10:17:49 CDT

Hi,
  You're running into the MacOS X Yosemite issue. Here's a short workaround
that should get you by until Apple fixes the problem, or we come up with a
better solution:

This is a short-term workaround for the MacOS X Yosemite 10.10.x update
problems that have recently cropped up on certain varieties of Mac laptops.

The solution is to set an environment variable to tell VMD not to
use the MacOS-provided file browser window, and to instead use the
FLTK-based file chooser. This is done by setting the environment variable
"VMDFILECHOOSER" to the value "FLTK". This can be done in VMD itself
in the text console, in the user's .vmdrc file, in the global .vmdrc
file in the VMD.app bundle, or by setting the environment variable in the
user's Unix shell .bashrc, etc.

To set the variable in VMD or .vmdrc etc, run this command:
     set env(VMDFILECHOOSER) FLTK

To set the variable in bash, add this to .bashrc etc:
  VMDFILECHOOSER=FLTK
  export VMDFILECHOOSER

After the environment variable is set, VMD will use the alternative
file selector window in the graphical interface, and this should prevent
the problems you've been encountering.

Let me know if the workaround is successful for you.