From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2015 - 00:32:59 CDT

Hi,
  Assuming that the "spacenavd" daemon is running, and is
has registered and is generating standard X-Windows events
it should work fine with VMD.

The first thing to look for is whether or not VMD is detecting
that the spacenavd driver is out there. When you run VMD you
should see a message like this:
  Info) X-Windows ClientMessage-based Spaceball device available.

If you see that, then VMD sees that spacenavd has registered the
special X-Windows event objects that the commercial drivers generate.
If you don't see that message when VMD starts up, then it doesn't
see those event types registered, and it can't talk to spacenavd for
some reason.

Even if VMD prints the message during startup, it won't respond to
the device unless the mouse focus is on the VMD graphics window.
So, make sure the mouse cursor is within the bounds of the VMD
graphics window, and then try moving the SpaceMouse Pro and see
if it responds.

If neither of these work correctly, then we'll need to dig further
and figure out if "spacenavd" treats the SpaceMouse Pro differently
than a SpaceNavigator, or other devices in the same hardware family,
for some reason. If you can tell me more details about the behavior
you see, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what is working and
what isn't.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/