From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 06 2015 - 09:39:18 CDT

Hi,
  If you read the VMD license carefully, the current VMD license
allows it to be used at no charge, by anyone. The only restrictions on
VMD are in relation to redistribution of the program and/or its source code
to third parties, and on the use of large parts of the VMD source code
(more than 10%) in other programs, with the obvious exception of the
parts of the code (e.g. plugins, and others) that are explicitly made
available via standard open source licenses that have essentially
no restrictions at all.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/