From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 19 2015 - 08:45:38 CDT

Hi,
  To get VMD to talk to your VRPN server, you're going to need a VMD that
has been compiled and linked against VRPN 7.30. Unfortunately, different
versions of VRPN use incompatible network protocol, and the previous VMD
builds up to now were compiled against an older rev of VRPN. I should be
able to get a new Windows build compiled against VRPN 7.30 in the next
few days, and this should resolve your problem. Once we get this issue
solved, the file name problem you're having can be overcome several ways.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/