From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 11 2015 - 14:31:39 CDT

Here is how I do it on my own systems, which avoid the painfully slow
unwrap process:

pbc wrap -sel "protein" -centersel "segname A" -center com -compound
fragment
pbc wrap -sel all -centersel "protein" -center com -compound fragment

The trick here is that I have one monomer (segname A) that I use to
bring the other potentially split monomers into the same pbc box. The
unwrap command followed by a wrap would also work, but you forgot the
"compound fragment" argument, so the algorithm did what you told it to,
and that is to wrap atoms around into a rectangle regardless of
connectivity, resulting in ludicrously long bonds.
-Josh Vermaas