From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 09 2015 - 16:19:29 CDT

Hi,
  Rather than hiding atoms by setting their colors to the background, you should
instead use VMD atom selections to select or hide the atoms. Most likely you ended
up with some overlapping duplicate copies of the same atoms, but with different colors,
and one of the cases with the default colors "won". If you use the VMD atom selection
fields correctly, you can prevent this from happening. If you haven't done so already,
now would be a good time to work through the VMD tutorials.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/