From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 25 2015 - 11:22:30 CDT

Hi Mike,
You need to cook up a selection that only includes the in between bits. How about "sidechain and ((exwithin 3.5 of chain A) or (exwithin 3.5 of chain B))"? This has three parts. One to pick up only the sidechains, and then two more that pick stuff near the chains that aren't the chains themselves. There are other alternatives, and perhaps others will chime in.
-Josh