From: Michel Sanner (sanner_at_scripps.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 18:05:30 CST

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay in replying to this but I was out of my office.
John would by any chance still have the client C program to connect to MSMS
when started in server mode? This would help me in trying to reproduce
the described
problem.

-Michel

John Stone wrote:

>Jerry,
> Interesting, if you and Michel find a general cure for this problem
>you ran into that'd be good to know, since I suspect there will be a lot
>of other people testing out the 64-bit x86_64 VMD binaries in the next
>year, and most will likely want to use MSMS if at all possible. As a rule
>of thumb I _always_ tell people to get MSMS to use with VMD, so do keep us
>informed.
>
>Thanks,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
>On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:49:18PM -0600, Jerry Ebalunode wrote:
>

>>Hi John,
>>I finally figured out why I couldn't get the MSMS program to work alone or
>>even work with VMD using the socketport option. First, because I was using my
>>new Gentoo Linux Athlon 64 workstation in a full 64 bit linux environment, I
>>could not just copy the dynamically linked MSMS I installed on my older 32
>>bit linux work station. This verison of MSMS ( about 2 years old) required
>>some 32 bit glibc libraries. To fix this problem I contacted Dr. Sanner about
>>the availablity of a statically linked MSMS binary for linux. Well he told me
>>that the current ones present at there download site are statically linked.
>>After installation, I have being trying to get them to run using the
>>socketports option, without any success. This weekend I installed a secondary
>>32 bit environment under my original 64 bit environment (i.e., glibc 32 bit
>>and 64 bit in the same box ) and out of curiousity I installed my two year
>>old MSMS binary which is dependent on the 32 bit glibc libraries. Amazingly,
>>MSMS worked with the socketport option likea charm. So the problem wasn't
>>with my platform but with the newer MSMS binaries. However, these new set of
>>binaries work fine if you are not using sockport option. This observation
>>might be the reason why we could not use the MSMS along with vmd on the DEC
>>ALPHA workstation which we reported last year (i.e. ports could not be
>>opened). I guess the way the new statically linked MSMS binaries might be
>>the cause of these problems. Just want to let you know and I am CCing this
>>e-mail to Dr. Sanner
>>--
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Jerry Ebalunode
>>Graduate Research Assistant
>>RM 402F Houston Science Center
>>Phone: 713-743-8367
>>Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry
>>University of Houston
>>4800 Calhoun Road
>>Houston, TX 77204

  /    Michel F. Sanner Ph.D.            The Scripps Research Institute
o      Associate Professor               Department of Molecular Biology
  \                                      10550 North Torrey Pines Road
   o   Tel. (858) 784-2341               La Jolla, CA 92037
  /    Fax. (858) 784-2860
o     sanner_at_scripps.edu                 http://www.scripps.edu/~sanner