From: Joaquim Rui de Castro Rodrigues (joaquim.rodrigues_at_ipleiria.pt)
Date: Sun Mar 08 2015 - 11:41:18 CDT

Dear Monika,

I don't quite get what you are trying to achieve... Do you want to get separate PDB files for each resid?
Anyhow, I see a few problems with your script:
- the for loop contains a strange comparison: $i<N. I just tested this and it results in an infinite loop. You must set N outside of the loop.
- you're looping over resid's, but always writing to same the same file (out.pdb)
- you're building atomselections at each iterations without deleting them. Your script should crash vmd at some point.

The following script should write resid's to separate files:

set N 10
for {set i 0} {$i<$N} {incr i} {
   set sel [atomselect top "resid $i"]
   $sel writepdb [format out.%05d.pdb $i]