From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2015 - 14:41:41 CST

Hi Maryam,

There are two ways: the simple one is to use the move making plugin
within VMD. If you are on windows, its a little wonky as I understand,
but there is some documentation available:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/vmdmovie/

The more flexible way is to write a script for it. If the trajectory is
loaded into vmd, here is what I would do:

#Loop over all the frames in your trajectory.
for {set f 0} { $f < [molinfo top get numframes] } { incr f } {
     puts "Rendering frame $f"
     animate goto $f ; #Goto the correct frame
     render snapshot frame%04d.tga "echo Done rendering $f"
}

This will make a whole slew of .tga files which you can feed into ffmpeg
and generate an animation. I'd highly encourage you to look at the VMD
user guide, since changing your trr file extension to tga certainly
isn't going to help.

-Josh