From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2015 - 14:29:49 CST

Hi Vlad,

I'm not sure if there is a more straightforward way of doing it, but
this is what I would do:

1.) Make a temporary pdb with as many dummy atoms as you want
2.) use topotools to merge together this set of dummy atoms with your
original structure
3.) Populate the new larger structure from your original psf and dcd
4.) Write out the new data to either a psf/dcd pair or a js file, which
contains everything in a single file.

Is there a particular reason you want to store the dummy atoms as atoms?
Normally, I save things I'm interested in to a numpy array, since I
don't intend to visualize it with VMD.

-Josh Vermaas