From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2015 - 10:04:25 CST

Michael,
  It's possibly a MacOS X issue if you have recently upgraded your machines
to Yosemite. That said, it's worth asking more details about the cube
files also. So, the problem only occurs when loading cube files, but
everything else is fine? We haven't changed anything terribly significant
in the Gaussian cube file reader recently. Axel taught it to recognize cube
files from g09 rev d.01 back in 2013, but that's the only change since 2009.
Perhaps your cube files are a particular variant of the format that the
VMD plugin doesn't handle yet? What Gaussian rev generated them?

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/