From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2015 - 06:45:34 CST

a few comments:

- you are using an outdated version of topotools (1.2, current is 1.5)
with known bugs. the easiest way to update is to replace your VMD
version with the latest version 1.9.2
- your description doesn't make sense, or your leaving things out that
you did. guessangles depends on the bond topology to construct the
angles, yet you don't seem to have C-C bonds in your file. so it is
not clear to me, where the angles should come from. if you managed to
get rid of the bonds manually, e.g. with a text editor, you can, of
course, do the same on the angles. the file format for data files is
well documented in the LAMMPS manual.
- you should be able to avoid creating angles between any atom
containing carbons, by using the -sel flag to restrict the atoms to be
considered with a selection. if it doesn't work, please report it as a
bug and provide the means to reproduce it.
- you can simply use the getanglelist command and then process the
returned list to remove the angles you don't want. the updated list
can be reassigned via setanglelist. of course, this requires
sufficient proficiency of Tcl scripting.