From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2015 - 17:02:57 CST

Hi Akshata,

You can change any of the 32 existing color definitions either through a
script or in the GUI. If you need to make them "stick" (if you like a
certain special set of colors), you can create a custom profile using
VMDprefs and use that as your vmdrc file (see the user guide). If you
need more than 32 shades, the GUI no longer will suit your needs, but
you have an additional 1024 colorids that you can access through the tcl
interface that are usually used for color gradients, but I've found can
be changed at will through the tcl interface.

-Josh Vermaas