From: Thomas C. Bishop (bishop_at_latech.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2015 - 10:36:11 CST

Jian,
I've have a related problem and molefracture complains that my molec is too big...

I thought the ramachandran plot under
"extensions -> analysis -> ramachandran" was interactive ...
meaning you can drag and drop the angle to whatever you like ....
but I checked and it's not.

If you want to rotate around a bond (even a virtual bond) you can use this scriptlet
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.7/ug/node181.html

Using the following in combination w/ the Rama Plots should allow you to do pretty much what you had in mind
but modify to rotate entire molec. rather than just a side chain
e.g.   set sidechain [atomselect top " residue > 22"]
but this is also tedious.

A more useful example is the following, which rotates the side chain atoms around the CA-CB bond by 10 degrees.
# get the sidechain atoms (CB and onwards)
set sidechain [atomselect top "sidechain residue 22"]
# get the CA coordinates -- could do next two on one line ...
set CA [atomselect top "name CA and residue 22"]
set CAcoord [lindex [$CA get {x y z}] 0]
# and get the CB coordinates
set CB [atomselect top "name CB and residue 22"]
set CBcoord [lindex [$CB get {x y z}] 0]
# apply a transform of 10 degrees about the given bond axis
$sidechain move [trans bond $CAcoord $CBcoord 10 deg]