From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2015 - 10:23:47 CST

Hi,
  Actually, the current VMD per-atom bond limit is 12 for normal VMD builds.
You can change this limit arbitrarily by editing the definition of
MAXATOMBONDS at the top of Atom.h in the VMD source code. Why do you need
it set to 50, that is a very non-physical number of bonds for any use
of VMD I've previously heard of. Unless you have a multiple conformation
structure of some kind, I can't imagine why you'd need so many bonds.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/