From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 25 2014 - 21:52:34 CST

All 1-4 pair combinations contribute to the VDW terms, just like how all
the pairs contribute to electrostatics. The difference is that certain
atomtypes use different parameters for when they are interacting in a
1-4 pair than they do with a general non-bonded pair. These atomtypes
have two sets of nonbonded parameters, the first is the standard
long-distance pair, and the second is the parameter set used for 1-4
pairs. I hope you are familiar with the combination rules CHARMM uses...
Otherwise you are in trouble.
-Josh Vermaas