From: Woodson, Michael (miwoodso_at_UTMB.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2014 - 10:13:18 CDT

Hi, I am trying to compile VMD against my native version of Python, 2.7. It seems to have mostly worked, it compiled and installed without any errors. When I call vmd - python, though, the text editor that starts up doesn't allow bash-style line editing. If I import the readline module manually, I can repeat previous lines, but not edit them.
When using python in a shell, it uses $PYTHONSTARTUP to import readline and other modules, but I don't know how to set this in VMD, or if there even is an equivalent.
Is this just how the text interpreter works in vmd, or did I screw something up during installation? And if the latter, what can I do to get line editing?
thanks!
Mike W.