From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2014 - 15:47:50 CDT

Hi,
  It is impossible to guess what has gone wrong with your build, but
I can tell you that I made 64-bit builds of VMD on Windows more
than 8 years ago, and that the reason it hadn't been distributed as
a 64-bit binary between then and now has been due to bugs in the
libraries that had previously caused problems akin to the one you're
seeing. The past problems I had were related to Tcl/Tk internals that
had (at the time) not yet been updated to work correctly on Win64 platforms.
I don't know what would be causing your specific problem,
you will need to get your debugger working to be able to track it down.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/