From: John Stone (
Date: Fri Oct 03 2014 - 15:47:50 CDT

  It is impossible to guess what has gone wrong with your build, but
I can tell you that I made 64-bit builds of VMD on Windows more
than 8 years ago, and that the reason it hadn't been distributed as
a 64-bit binary between then and now has been due to bugs in the
libraries that had previously caused problems akin to the one you're
seeing. The past problems I had were related to Tcl/Tk internals that
had (at the time) not yet been updated to work correctly on Win64 platforms.
I don't know what would be causing your specific problem,
you will need to get your debugger working to be able to track it down.

  John Stone

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 11:38:15PM +0330, Nima Nouri wrote:
> Dear Expers
> Hi
> Again I decided toA compile vmd on 64bit windows.
> This time I had success and made a vmd_WIN64.exe that can be ran.
> But while vmd is loading I get the "Unhandled exception at
> 0x0000000140117788 in vmd_WIN64.exe: 0xC0000005"
> U can also see the attached image: it is exactly at loading when VMD sees
> that my system has 27GB of free RAM.
> [1]Inline image 1
> I tried to compile all of the plugins(e.g. molefile, etc.), libraries
> (tcl, fltk)A as well as vmd source code again butA this time with /GS and
> /MTd flags.
> The same error happens and surprisingly I cannot see the source code for
> debugging in MSVC2008.
> It says debugging information cant be found or does not match.
> If any one is interested I can give him a complete detailed "how to" for
> compiling VMD on 64bit windows.
> I have some questions:
> 1. At this point you see (when vmd crashes) I want to know what is being
> loaded?
> 2. the default win32 and win64 builds of vmd does not require FLTK package
> in the configure file. Should I add this package to build (I mean does it
> relate to the problem?)
> I am willing toA make a win64 distributionA and share itA with VMD
> developersA if this problem is solved.
> Any help would be appreciated
> Best Regards
> N.Nouri
> References
> Visible links

University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801           Phone: 217-244-3349