From: Dave Schall (schalljd_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2014 - 12:51:22 CDT

 Yep, just now tried it! I dug a little deeper and found you have fixed
this problem in the most recent version of topotools. You apparently set it
up to sort by atom name (very nice for my purposes). After installing the
newest topotool plugin, everything seems sorted out. Thanks.

Now my files are sorted like such:
# 1 C-C-C
# 2 C-C-C1
# 3 C-C-C2
# 4 C-C-H
# 5 C-C1-H
# 6 C-C2-C

very logical and neat.

I'm not running the new vmd beta, but topotools v1.4 seems to work fine
with whatever I am running for VMD

Snipped from Axel's page:

"Version 1.4The final version of TopoTools-v1.4 scheduled to be released
with VMD version 1.9.2.

This version contains bugfixes and improvements and adds support for
accessing crossterms contributed by Josh Vermaas. This feature requires a
version of VMD newer than 1.9.2a33, but version 1.4 should also work with
older versions of VMD; only the crossterm support will not function
correctly.
New features:
- A new utility function TopoTools::fixupnumtypes which prepends numerical
atom/bond/angle/etc types with leading zeros so they get sorted
consistently and in the correct numerical order with ascii style sorting.
This facilitates maintaining the order of numerical atom/bond/angle/etc
types, e.g. when reading and writing data files from LAMMPS."