From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2014 - 10:58:56 CDT

Hi Sebastian,

I think the truthful answer to #1 is that noone sat down and thought
"can we do this better?" and worked it out why the current
implementation is non-optimal (I mean, in principle you only need one
rotation to minimize volume. Figuring out what this rotation is is the
hard part). There is also some danger of making your box too small and
introducing periodic cell artifacts if the system rotates so that it
spans this new, smaller box.

For #2, the most obvious case to me would be systems where some part of
the system was aligned intentionally with an axis. In membrane
simulations, for example, the z-axis is normally aligned perpendicular
to the membrane so that membrane depths are simple to find. For a
soluble protein, it may be more convenient to calculate rotational
diffusion if the three principle axes were aligned with x, y, and z
(even if this makes your box bigger) if you want to precisely determine
how your protein differs from the diffusion of a sphere or ellipsoid.

-Josh Vermaas